Access Services for Persons with Disabilities
To ensure access to library collections and services for patrons with disabilities, the Libraries provide a number of services. Public service staff will provide reasonable assistance to patrons with disabilities or direct them to appropriate personnel for further assistance. Special arrangements may be required for access to some services and resources, especially during evening and weekend hours. The University's Disability Resource Center will provide library assistance to FIU students who are clients of this office and who make requests in advance. Contact the Office of Disability Services (ODS): at Modesto A. Maidique Campus, GC-190, 305-348-3532 or at Biscayne Bay Campus, WUC-131, 305-919-5813 for special assistance.
Community Patrons Not Attending Florida International University
Patrons outside the FIU community in need of special assistance should contact the Libraries' Coordinators of Disability Services between 9:30 a.m.–5:30 p.m., Monday - Friday.
Genevieve Diamond, Coordinator of Disability Services at Modesto A. Maidique Campus - Green Library: 305-348-4741 Jude Cobham, Coordinator of Disability Services at Biscayne Bay Campus - Hubert Library: 305-919-5797
- Information & Research Services desk (up to 10 minutes)
- Interlibrary Loan and Intercampus Loan*
- Catalog instruction (up to 10 minutes)
- Reserve materials*
- Registration for library instruction and training for electronic information services*
- Limited assistance with electronic resources (up to 10 minutes)
Services Requiring Special Arrangements
- Extended reference (over 10 minutes).
- Extended online catalog training.
- Photocopying of library materials (contact the Office of Disability Services or the Libraries). Any cost for photocopying is to be paid by the patron.
- Retrieval of library materials.
- Special library instruction and training for groups or individuals.*
- Renewal of library materials by phone
- Accessing microform materials (contact the Office of Disability Services or the Libraries).
- Library-produced publications can be made available in other formats.
- Persons with disabilities who are entitled to borrowing privileges may authorize an individual to serve as a Designated Borrower to check out library materials on their behalf.*
*These services are only available to currently registered FIU students and employed faculty and staff.
Both libraries have equipment adapted to assist patrons with disabilities. Patrons will need to present the ODS priority card along with their FIU One Card to use this equipment. Modesto A. Maidique Campus equipment is located in GL-230A, B, C, D; Biscayne Bay Campus equipment is located in HL-112.
The adapted equipment purchased by the Office of Disability Services (ODS) is intended primarily for use by their clients. For further information about this and other types of equipment available outside the library setting, contact the ODS: Modesto A. Maidique Campus , GC-190, 305-348-3532 Biscayne Bay Campus, WUC-131, 305-919-5813.
The Libraries have computers accessible to patrons in wheelchairs to search the online catalog. The Libraries’ online catalog, also provides access to search the collections of all of Florida's public universities and of many other libraries in South Fflorida and around the country. The open access computers serves as an access point for numerous indexes, abstracts, and full- text databases. In addition to wheelchair-accessible computers, The Library has text enlargement and voice synthesizer programs that offer access to the Library catalog and various other online resources.
The catalog may also be accessed via any campus terminal or any personal computer with internet access.
TDD phones are available at the Circulation Desks on both campuses to provide access to services and information concerning the FIU Libraries: Biscayne Bay, 305-919-5718; Modesto A. Maidique Campus, 305-348-1295.
Sign Language Interpretation
Most day-to-day communication between library personnel and patrons who are hearing impaired can be accomplished by pencil and paper. In circumstances that require more extensive communication, the use of a sign language interpreter may be requested via the Office of Disability Services.
Policy Document in Alternate Formats
This document can be made available in large print and audio formats. For further information, please contact the Libraries' Coordinators of Disability Services.
Modesto A. Maidique Campus, Green Library
Circulation Desk: 305-348-2453 Information & Research Services Desk: 305-348-2454 Genevieve Diamond, Library Coordinator of Disability Services: 305-348-4741
Biscayne Bay Campus, Hubert Library
Circulation Desk: 305-919-5718 Information & Research Services Desk: 305-919-5726 Jude Cobham, Library Coordinator of Disability Services: 305-919-5797